South Carolina Football The University of South Carolina Gamecock
In America, the American Football is the popular sport. South Carolina is a state of America. Here the University of South Carolina organized their domestic football team named “South Carolina Football”. It started its journey in 1892. This football team was also known as South Carolina Gamecocks Football.
This Gamecocks football program only represents the University of South Carolina in the sport of American football. The (NCAA) National Collegiate Athletic Association, it’s one of the Subdivision is Football Bowl. They compete with the Football Bowl and the Eastern Division of the Southeastern Conference.
Till now, Will Muschamp serves this team as the last head coach of Carolina Football. Williams-Brice Stadium is the 20th largest stadium in college football. The South Carolina Gamecocks football play their home games at this large stage.
The beginning of The South Carolina Football
In 1892, for Christmas Eve occasion, Carolina football fielded their first football team, in Charleston, ‘South Carolina versus Furman’. Later, they compete with many other teams popularly. At that time, they were not authorized by the University of South Carolina. They contributed their own uniforms and train fare personally in order to participate game. At the very beginning, they were nicknamed the “College Boys” and their supporters wore garnet and black.
Since 1969, SC’s helmet designed with a fighting gamecock, no regard of color. That’s why this football called Gamecock football. This bird includes metal spurs, that is usually featured in a Block C and it also displayed by itself. Helmets in color of white with garnet and black trim and Gamecock logo with or without the block C. Garnet with white and black trim with Gamecock Block C logo. Then black garnet and white trim with Gamecock Block C logo. In 2015 they unveiled some Block C logos with a chrome finish and a White helmet with an oversize tail end of the Gamecock logo in Chrome Garnet.
Carolina football wore a special uniform in the 2009 season, against Florida supported by the Wounded Warrior Project. They repeated this same uniform both in the 2011 season against Auburn, and during the 2012 season against LSU.
In 2013, during the new season, Under Armour made new uniforms for the Carolina football team. The changes in only one place, stripes on the front of the shoulders were moved to the top of the shoulder. On the university campus, there is 11 number of buildings as the national historic landmark like The Horseshoe. The uniform of this football contains 11 total stripes as like as the same as the building.
Head Coaches of Carolina Football from 1896 to 2016
The South Caroline Gamecocks Football had no formal Head coach from 1892 to 1896. But later they appointed the captain of a team and achieved many successes. Here’s the name of those recruited coaches;
- W. H. Whaley (1896)
- Frederick M. Murphy (1897)
- Bill Wertenbaker (1898)
- Irving O. Hunt (1899–1900)
- Byron W. Dickson (1901)
- Bob Williams (1902–1903)
- Christie Benet (1904–1905, 1908–1909)
- Douglas McKay (1907)
- John Neff (1910–1911)
- Norman B. Edgerton (1912–1915)
- W. Rice Warren (1916)
- Dixon Foster (1917, 1919)
- Frank Dobson (1918)
- Sol Metzger (1920–1924)
- Branch Bocock (1925–1926)
- Harry Lightsey (1927)
- Early history (1892–1927)
- Billy Laval era (1928–1934)
- Don McCallister era (1935–1937)
- Rex Enright era (1938–1955)
- Warren Giese era (1956–1960)
- Marvin Bass era (1961–1965)
- Paul Dietzel era (1966–1974)
- Jim Carlen era (1975–1981)
- Joe Morrison era (1983–1988)
- Sparky Woods era (1989–1993)
- Brad Scott era (1994–1998)
- Lou Holtz era (1999–2004)
- Steve Spurrier era (2005–2015)
- Will Muschamp era (2016–present)
- Again in 2012, they achieved “Back-to-Back” 11-Win Seasons” award under the direction of Coach Spurrier.
- Coach Spurrier worked his magic once again during the 2013 season. This time South Caroline Gamecocks got for third time their consecutive eleven-win season. They got again “Three consecutive” 11-Win Seasons award.
- In 1933, during the time of Billy Laval, the Gamecocks went undefeated in the Southern Conference record by one win and was awarded the championship
- In 1969, the Gamecocks football won the ACC Championship by going undefeated in conference play against West Virginia.
- In 1984, the time of Coach Morrison direction, South Carolina Gamecocks became the first team in school history to win 10 games. In case of glorious history, they named as “Black Magic”.
- In 2010, South Carolina won their first SEC Eastern Division Championship.
- In 2011, got “First 11-Win Season” award. That time Coach Spurrier led the Caroline football. Gamecocks achieved its most wins in a single season and finished in the Top 10 for the first time in program history.